Summer Walks: Clancy's Strand, Wed, Jun 14th

The Strand Barracks
This historic walk will assemble outside the Strand Hotel, at 7 p.m.  From there we will proceed down Clancy Strand.  

We will discuss Limerick House of Industry, built in 1774 to house the poor of Limerick, replaced by Limerick Workhouse (now St Cammilus' Hospital) in the 1840s. The building was later used by the British Army and became known as the Strand Barracks. Free State troops shelled the building during the Civil War. We will also pass Jackson’s Turret, then on to the home of George Clancy, one of the two Mayors of Limerick murdered by the Black and Tans on 7th March, 1921. We will end at the Treaty Stone and St Munchin’s Church.

Assemble at the corner of O'Callaghan Strand and Ennis Road.  All welcome as usual.